Good lord, I’m having a hard time keeping up. I don’t know why I thought self-employment would leave me with more time to work on the blog. With the endless list of house projects and the learning curve of a new business, I’m left with zilch. Oh well. I thought this week it’d be fun to do an episode of Link Love and talk about some of the rando things on my mind.
- Do y’all listen to the Hidden brain podcast? It’s about social psychology and it’s so interesting. This recent episode on the Ikea effect had me rethinking my entire life.
- I’ve been researching legit, DIY mosquito treatments for the yard (like this). I’ve been pulling weeds, getting rid of brush and I upped my game by wearing repellent with 40% DEET when I’m outside. It’s not ideal, I know. But I got at least 30 bites on me while I was wearing a Deep Woods repellent and pulling weeds during.the.day.time. No natural or even less toxic options have ever worked for me and I’ve tried ’em all (oils, candles, arm bands, that weird fan repeller that you wear, etc.). I’m really trying to treat mosquitos at the source, but when you live in a temperate rainforest, it’s rough. If you have any suggestions that have worked for you, I’d love to hear them.
- Speaking of things I’ve tried and natural options, I’ve tried just about every natural deodorant known to man and none of them have worked for me. And this sweaty gal would like to avoid the possible risks associated with antiperspirant deodorants. Enter: Crystal Body deodorant. It’s the only natural d.o. that’s worked for me. Plus, it’s super inexpensive. And it’s supposed to last up to a year. Wins all around.
- Lately I’ve been thinking about how to not work 7 days a week. Similarly: The gig economy celebrates working yourself to death.
- Has anyone else been #huluandpanic-ing? It’s the new #netflixandchill because A Handmaid’s Tale on Hulu feels too real. It’s way scarier than a horror movie and it’s kept me awake several nights. (For a free two week trial click this link.)
- My summer reading has also been creepy and not so summery, but IDGAF. I’m currently reading Burial Rites by Hannah Kent. It’s about the last woman beheaded in Iceland and it’s taking me back to the beautiful, harsh landscape of when we last visited Iceland. I’d love to go back! Maybe next time in the summer!
What are y’all up to this weekend? Talk to me in the comments!