Buffing is better when done with a partner. Buffing an Airstream, silly! There is a ton of advice and debate in Airstream Forums about the best products and technique to buff your Bombshell Betty (dirty!). Although, I’m no expert, I always think it is helpful to share how we did it.
1. Give the old girl a good washin’ and dryin’. Here’s my tips for doing that.
3. Prepare yourself mentally and physically. Grab a partner if you can. I’ve heard horror stories of folks going at it alone and spending at least 8 hours just buffing the thing. (It took us 4 hours for the record!)
4. Follow your
sensi wax manufacturer’s directions– wax on, wax off.
Tips and Advice:
- Some Airstreams, like our own, will never get that super-shine without drastic measures, such as an acid bath. Prior to owning the old girl, we think someone used a product that took off some of the original clear finish because it is unnaturally patchy in spots. If that bothers you, here are some tips for getting a super shine. We’ve decided to forego a more natural look for the time being.
- Work from the top and buff your way down.
- Work in a shady spot on a day with no rain in the forecast. There is nothing worse than having your wax job ruined by mother nature.
- Really though, work with a partner. Pay someone to help if you must. This is a huge job!