The first time I encountered horchatas was when I lived in L.A. I was scared to try them because I thought they were a big ol’ glass of watery milk. But we ordered one anyway and boy was I was wrong! Horchatas are refreshing, delicious and made from rice water and almond milk– which I actually enjoy. I also enjoy a little refreshing nip of rum–if you know what I’m saying.
Here’s my recipe for the perfect adult horchata.
- 1 cup of uncooked long grain rice
- 5 cups of water
- 3/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 4 shots of your favorite rum (We used Sailor Jerry’s for the nutmeg and cinnamon flavors.)
Pour the rice and water into a blender. Blend the rice until it breaks up, but isn’t total mush– about 1 minute. Let rice and water stand at room temperature overnight.
The next day, strain the rice water into a pitcher. Discard the leftover rice. Whisk the almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon, maple syrup and rum into the rice water. Serve over ice.
So much more refreshing and relaxing than a glass of milk!
What is your favorite summer drink?